Thursday, March 24, 2005

Friday's here, but Ninja Turtles are on the way!

So Les was like we need an Easter message on your blog, phil. And I was like "don't censor me!" But he insisted that since I get paid for the time I write this, that I'd better at least say "Happy Good Friday and Easter" but that sounds wierd. Is it happy good friday? or have a somber friday? or is it like the new year's greeting "drive safe." Anyway I began to think but then realized I should be watching TV. And as I turned on Fox kids divine inspiration hit me. So let me tell you the easter story in a way that you or at least I can understand it.:::

Easter is when Jesus Christ defeated death and rose from the grave. But this year, I believe that along with Jesus' ressurection there will be a resurrection of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I know that last time few people were convinced of the Christ imagery in Superman II, but I believe it is undeniable in TMNT.

First let me point out that the Christ imagery is seen in the combination of the four ninja turtles.
All we have to do to see this is look at the lyrics:

Splinter taught them to be ninja teens (He's a radical rat!)
Splinter, the mutant rat/man is the traditional father god figure, training the turtles, caring for them and providing for them. And he created them and loves them.
Leonardo leads, Donatello does machines (That's a fact, Jack!)
We know that as a teen Jesus spent time in the temple with the Jewish leaders wowing them with his knowledge of scripture. And that he must also have been dutifully helping his father in the carpenter's shop. So it is easy to see that Leonardo and Donatello comprise the leadership and mechanical aspects of Jesus. (that's a fact, jack!)
Raphael is cool but crude (Gimme a break!)
Michaelangelo is a party dude (Party!)

Lest we forget that Jesus' first miracle was to turn water into wine? Jesus was a totally crude party animal, he had no qualms with bringing the booze and tossing furniture in the temple. And I am sure, that if Pizza were around in his day, he would have eaten it all the time. ("Party!")

Also note the rivalry between the turtles and shredder. The battle is really between Splinter, who we've already established as a fathergod figure to the turtle and shredder's master, "Crang," who disguises himself in a suit of flesh. Sound a little like someone we know, someone we were told to stay away from? someone like Satan? At first, I didn't see it. I saw this epic battle between good and evil as the story of me and Les. I am a hip party dude, always eating pizza and leading this university on a furious path to engaging the culture, and Les is always nerdy and brainy and stuck in a body that doesn't know how to get down and boogie when he needs to. And he so desperately needs to.

But trust me, Teenage mutant ninja turtles is all about:
"Jesus vs Satan"

Spoiler alert: Jesus wins!

Booyakasha!
Happy Easter
Phil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home